Five Ways to Give Back
During the holidays, many of us try to reconnect with family, friends and community. One great way to do that is by volunteering. It could mean serving food in a soup kitchen, picking up groceries for a homebound neighbor, or mentoring a new college graduate in his or her first job, to name just a few.
Here at Alliance, one way we give back is through Helping Hands, our committee of volunteers that organizes service events and fundraisers for our communities in California and North Carolina. To learn more, go here and click the “Community Involvement” tab.
It can be hard to find time to volunteer, but the benefits are enormous – not just for the people or organization you help, but for you. Volunteering can help you learn new skills, find friends, and even advance your career. And here’s an added bonus: Volunteering is good for your health and happiness. Studies have shown that people who volunteer live longer!
Americans volunteer almost eight billion hours a year, with an estimated economic value of $171 billion, according to the Corporation of National and Community Service, a federal agency that tracks civic engagement in the U.S.
Here are five suggestions on how to give back to your community. A good go-to source for volunteer opportunities is Volunteer Match
- Invite an elderly neighbor or someone who lives alone to Thanksgiving. This gesture of good will help strengthen your connections in your community. And you may find a lifelong friend.
- Deliver a meal to a family. Research shows that children in the U.S. continue to struggle with hunger in every county in the nation. Many needy families would appreciate a healthy, hot home-cooked meal.
- Teach an adult how to read or learn English. This is a gift that gives for an entire lifetime.
- Foster a dog or cat. There are millions of potential pets languishing in animal shelters across the company. Fostering an animal gives them a chance for a new life.
- Organize paid employee volunteer events. If you’re a business owner, having your employees volunteer for a worthy cause, such as Habitat for Humanity, enhances their ability to work as a team.
How do you give back to your community?